Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Departure from the UAE

Good morning all after another very short night. I will need to return from my holiday to get some r&r.

I have omitted to include a lot of the interesting information I've learned while here due to time constraints. I thought before flying out, I would share some observations and information gained from others. For fact checking  check out the literature, lol.

Many of the women here wear the full abaya. This covers the face and hands. Evidently, first practical when in the desert in sand, etc. it was also helpful to prevent kidnapping of young women, could not easily tell them apart. This was a cultural practice, not so much religious practice as now.

The colors of the mans headscarf identifies where he is from. Red checks - Saudi Arabia, all white UAE, black checks - North Africa.

The locals of the UAE make up approx. 20%, expats the other 80%.  About half of that 20% are millionaires.  The majority of the workers here are expats from everywhere!

I have now enjoyed "veal bacon". Pork is hard to come by...

1 comment:

  1. You answered a question I had after seeing your photos about the headdress. I was wondering what the women's headdress was called. My first "learn" of the day! XXXX

    ReplyDelete