Monday, November 4, 2013

Garderob (the coat check) and dinner

While in Russia you will notice a national custom.  When you enter a restaurant, theater, museum, movie, university, etc. etc. etc. you will need to check your coat. 
The garderob - or coat check room is attended by a matron and it is expected that EVERYONE check their coat.  I had difficulty with this at first...wonder if it's cold in there (it won't be), I have things in my pockets, it's not that big...then I realized that it probably appeared as "uncouth" to keep my coat while indoors. 
Russians actually view the practice of walking into an establishment wearing your coat (hat, gloves, scarf) as uncivilized.  Now we just hand it all over.
Frequently, the matrons will not accept a tip and you just hand her back the coat tag and watch her gather up all of your belongings and she gives them back.

  

It was a new restaurant tonight.  We tried it because they have a back-up English menu.  I went for the Devil's toast (black bread, peppers & cheese), John had the "Schnitel".  Passed on the poultry liver in cream, offal in a pot, Czech Krakovitsa (we asked...pork neck), horse meat in cream, and turkey breast with buckwheat noodles.  I'm holding out for my turkey with dressing on November 28th, in southwest Florida!  

No comments:

Post a Comment