Thursday, October 31, 2013

Russian podiatry services, American obesity, and Halloween

I have to believe that Podiatry must be an excellent profession here in Russia.  I continue to be amazed at the number of women I see in high heels.  These women in shoes, boots, 3, 4, 5, 6 inches and higher walking everywhere.  The women 15-70 years of age priss along the sidewalks day and night in this incredibly beautiful footwear.  That's gotta hurt after a while though...right?  Well, they are sure "steppin out"!


Adding to the fact that many of the women are tall and thin also helps the image of a stylish Russian woman, often with long thin legs. They are obviously proud of their beauty with full right.  When we were in Moscow for the Fulbright meeting, the guys all debated one evening that their city had the best looking women.  John gave a big "shout out" for the well deserved Ufa contingent.

On the other hand...I have just given up on any shopping here in Ufa.  Almost all of the stylish shops (or magazins- as they are called) carry only sizes 0-4.  Now and then you might find a 6...but an 8...well forget it. No need for those around here.

In my classes, the subject of "American obesity" has come up on several occasions.  One of the faculty members that had been to America was appalled at our sizes and the amount of obese people.  She commented to the students that it was disgusting and "maybe your President should do something about it".  I skipped lunch that day...

Well as I write, Mr. John is lecturing on HALLOWEEN!  I brought along this and that for the holiday but he wasn't interested in taking any "props".  I plan to wear my sparkly Halloween shirt (right side out) later today out and about and take my trick or treat bag full of candy to give to some kids at the apartment.  John says to "forget it, the parents will all just think you are some kind of pervert" but the plan is on...


I will keep you posted!


No comments:

Post a Comment